Frequently Asked Questions about River Prairie Park
What is River Prairie?
- River Prairie is a mixed-use development in Altoona, Wisconsin. This business district is home to a number of businesses, outdoor amenities and cool features unlike anywhere else in the Chippewa Valley. Located along the banks of the Eau Claire River, the park highlights the site's natural attributes as a primary draw to visitors and residents and offers something for everyone. River Prairie Center, located adjacent to River Prairie Park, is available for a variety of community events, from running races to car shows to concerts to food festivals.
Where did the name "River Prairie" come from?
- When Altoona City Officials were considering names for this piece of land, they didn't have to look far. The name River Prairie originates from the proximity of the development to the Eau Claire River and the Prairie landscape that surrounds it. This area has become a multiple-quadrant development along Highway 53.
How do I get to River Prairie?
- River Prairie is located right off HWY 53 near the Woodman's grocery store in Altoona, WI. Parking is free throughout the park as well as in designated business parking lots. On-street parking in River Prairie is back-in only. There is also public off-street parking that has standard pull-in parking stalls. Please pay attention to the signage within the park that indicates parking regulations.
What types of events are held at River Prairie?
- River Prairie is home to a wide variety of events and programs throughout the year. It is home to the annual River Prairie Festival in May and the Ginormous Pumpkin Festival in September. Likewise, River Prairie is widely popular in the summer for their Kickin' It Country and Rock'n On The River outdoor concert series.
Where can I stay when visiting River Prairie?
- Staybridge Suites is located right inside of the park and makes for an ideal home-away-from-home. The Fairway is also right down the road and offers luxury, apartment-style accommodations for every type of traveler.
I'm interested in hosting an event at River Prairie Center. Who do I talk to?
- Email email@example.com.
Is River Prairie pet-friendly?
- Yes, River Prairie welcomes you and your pets! Yes, River Prairie welcomes you and your pets! We understand that animals are an extension of the family. Remember your pets must be leashed and cleaned up after. Other regulations also apply, click here to view the ordinance. Staybridge Suites also welcomes pets in their hotel.
Is smoking allowed in River Prairie?
- Yes, smoking is allowed in the outdoor areas of River Prairie.
Are carry-ins allowed in River Prairie?
- Yes, fermented malt beverages and wine in River Prairie Park are only allowed in limited quantities. Persons are limited to 48 ounces (a total of 4 individual 12-ounce cans) of fermented malt beverages or 750 milliliters (25 ounces) of wine. Other regulations also apply, click here to view the ordinance.